12.08.2010

Things I do in Abu Dhabi that I've never done so frequently elsewhere:

  • Take taxis. In New York, I drove. In Atlanta, I walked. Mexico, I knew the bus system like the back of my hand. San Francisco: bicycle (oh, how I miss it). Abu Dhabi: I walk up to the bus stop, but I catch a cab. Every time. I won't lie: I love it. It's reasonably cheap, faster than the bus, and safer than attempting to commute on two wheels.
  • Eat falafel & hummus. Heaven in mah mouth.
  • Bite my tongue. It ain't easy, but swearing is illegal, so no telling off that jack-ass driver who almost ran you down in the parking lot. And no middle fingers either. (Hear that, Chad?)
  • Not smile. On more than one occasion, smiling at strange men in public has led to being followed, likely under the impression that I am for hire. Sorry, gents, but now I'm stone-faced.
  • Get mistaken for a prostitute. See above.
  • Do yoga. I have *a lot* of free time right now, and thanks to my lovely friend Rachel, I get to fill some of it with yoga in the comfort of my own home. Good stuff.
  • Skype with my in-laws. They are so lovely. I love them. And I love seeing their pixelated faces via the wonders of Skype.
  • Burn baked goods. My convection oven and I are still working out some kinks in our relationship.
  • Drink camel milk. Makes the burnt baked goods go down more easily.
  • Turn on the air conditioner. It's November and still hits the 90s during the day, 'nough said.

1 comment: